Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that has been around for ages and has multiple benefits. There are many reasons to start oil pulling, and I’d like to share 8 of them with you today:
8 Reasons To Start Oil Pulling:
- Detoxifies the body–Our mouths are home to a variety of bacteria, and harmful toxins. If the toxins stay in our bodies they can cause damage and disease.
- Freshens breath–Halitosis is a by-product that is released by bacteria in the mouth. Oil pulling helps get rid of these bacteria, giving you fresh, clean breath.
- Whitens teeth–I can attest to this! It works just as well as commercial teeth whiteners (like Crest Whitestrips) which are full of bleach and other toxic ingredients.
- Helps the body manage hormonal changes more efficiently–When the body has less toxins to clean out, it can spend more energy on other important functions.
- Helps prevent headaches and migraines–A major cause of headaches is having an overload of toxins in the body.
- Removes plaque–Oil pulling helps to reduce harmful bacteria (Streptococcus mutans) which cause plaque, which cause cavities (1).
- Improves skin conditions–Removing toxins from the body has a positive effect on the skin too. It can help clear acne and other skin conditions.
- Heals bleeding gums–Reduces inflammation and helps reverse gingivitis.
Which Oil Should I Use For Oil Pulling?
I use coconut oil for my daily oil pulling. You might like to try coconut oil too due to it’s many health benefits.
Or you might like to use sunflower, sesame, or any number of other healthy oils.